Saturday, 29 August 2026

Alnwick and Home

 As the end of the summer holidays is approaching, and certainly the end of any decent weather we've enjoyed, I'm still reminiscing on our week in the North, which was too coming to an end. Sunday was our last day before it was time to go. We'd definitely made the most of our time, and I think all of us, including the dog, were pretty tired. 



We spent a lazy day on site, cashing in all of the tickets little Miss had won on the arcades (for a stash of plastic junk to take home), and having our Sunday dinner in the on-site Weatherspoons. Then, it was an evening of packing our bags, ready for an early departure on Monday. 



Since Alnwick was en-route home, we decided to stop off. Originally I'd planned to visit Alnwick gardens, I'm fascinated by their poisonous plants section, but the weather was starting to turn and I didn't really fancy wandering around gardens by this point. No, instead, we wandered the pretty little town of Alnwick. 



We were greeted in the distance by the imposing image of Alnwick castle, and the town itself is filled again with some lovely architecture. There are a myriad of independent boutiques, and in one particular leather goods shop I was extremely tempted by a beautiful leather handbag. I did what I always do and walked around the shop with it for 30 minutes, what I don't always do is put it down and walk away though. I did this time because I am coming to the realisation that I have more handbags than I can use in a lifetime. I've thought about that bag every day ever since, so I've added it to my wishlist and who knows maybe I will buy it at some future point, but I am really trying not to. 





There wasn't really many dog friendly places in Alnwick where we could grab some lunch, so we ended up grabbing some snacks from Greggs and eating them in the car before setting off on the journey home. It had been an excellent holiday, so excellent that little Miss exclaimed it was her best holiday ever. What more could anyone want?

1 comment:

  1. That first photograph is just adorable.
    When we were in Alnwick we found ourselves in Greggs for the same reason you did. But it at least meant that we could enjoy a picnic by the river, overlooking the castle.
    Well done on your restraint with the handbag, and for giving little Miss the best holiday ever :)

    ReplyDelete